Goal of Connectivity Efforts
The goal of the project is to develop, test and integrate features and functionalities for the OMAP platform to enhance the connectivity solutions. Also, the aim is to upstream as much of the software as possible so that it can be available and useful to a bigger target audience.
Connectivity Offering Overview
If you are reading this, you are interested in getting one of the following communication links up and running on your OMAP platform:
- Wifi: Wireless Communication link
- BT: Bluetooth Communication link
- GPS: Global Positioning System Communication link
- FM or FM Radio : Frequency Modulation / Radio Communication link
- NFC: Near Field Communication link
Other than the last one (NFC), which is not currently supported on OMAP, the others are available as integrated solutions from TI.
Since the OMAP (processor) itself doesn't support the communication links, TI has special communication chips that support these links.
As the OMAP has different generations or versions, these communication chips also have their own line of evolution. However, we point out here that, some communication chips are better supported on some processor platforms.
The generation/version of OMAP is documented. Here we will mention the communication chips.
The communication chips on OMAP have their own generations. The recent, relevant ones for OMAP platforms are:
For 127x, 128x the x marks the band which is supported by the connectivity chip:
* if (x == 1) supported bands = 2.5Ghz * if (x == 3) supported bands = 2.5Ghz & 5.0 Ghz
- TI calls the product and support for WL1271 chip as Wilink6. Wilink6 supports BT, FM, and WLAN in a single device mode.
- TI calls the product and support for WL1283 chip as Wilink7. Wilink7 Supports BT, FM, WLAN, and GPS in a single device mode.
- Similarly, NL5500 supports BT, FM, and GPS in a single device mode.
As mentioned, TI offers several options for connectivity with its OMAP processors. The two solutions Wilink6 and Wilink7 are related to the hardware chips (WL127x and WL128x).
- More about Wilink6 solution (for WL127x) can be found here.
- More about Wilink7 solution (for WL128x) can be found here.